Thursday, May 8, 2014

Old Time Memories~Italian Ice & My Grandma


The summer of 1983~ I recall sitting on my grandparents balcony waiting & waiting...

The old fashioned, wooden barrel, ice cream machine was cranking away, I can still hear the whoosh whoosh as it turned. I think it was the 4th of July because I can also recall the snap and bang of fireworks resounding in the echoes of the courtyard. I couldn't wait for the machine to finish! It had already been an hour or so since my grandmother (Nonna) had started the process, loading the ice and salt around the outside of the canister. The promise of real Italian Ice/lemonade had my mouth watering!

I can taste it even today, the little bits of fresh lemon and ice. It's soothing feel of relief as I took my first spoonful. It may have been the heat combined with anticipation, but nothing ever tasted so good.

Now, being from Chicago there were plenty of places to go buy some, but nothing taste as good to an Italian than homemade!

Those typical arguments amongst Italians about meatballs or lasagna or Marinara etc. Come to mind. You wanted grandmas or mamas cooking, going out to eat was pointless. 

But I found a way! With the Lemon Ice anyway :) I was fortunate enough to obtain the right kind of ice and the method to make it fresh to order and best of all, about a minute wait!

I make it to taste and to order. Available in cups of various sizes or a Pint to take home and share with the kiddies or for a party. 

Next time you are in Berwyn, or want to take a trip to for that special experience, stop by Rissi's!

6834 Windsor Ave, Berwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment